- The funding is available for filmmakers (scriptwriters/directors) who satisfy the following criteria:
- Have previously worked on at least one fictional or non-fictional feature-length or short film, that has been released either locally or internationally,
- Be a citizen of the country in which the call for application is taking place,
- Live and work in the respective country.
Producers are not eligible to apply.
- Eligible formats are fictional and non-fictional feature-length films as well as hybrids (minimum length: 60 minutes)
- The funding is for the development phase of the film’s overall production. The development phase includes but is not limited to the following activities:
- Script development
- Location and character scouting
- Development of marketing or distribution strategies
- Selected filmmakers will receive up to €10,000 for the development phase of their film.
- The funding will not be awarded if the same development activities applied for – as stated in the applicant’s activity schedule – have already received funding elsewhere.
- Projects funded must adhere to the values of the United Nations “Universal Declaration of Human Rights” (UDHR). Projects that violate the UDHR by, for example, glorifying war, physical, psychological or sexual violence, or offending moral or religious feelings, will not be supported.
DW Akademie qualification measure
DW Akademie will provide a mentoring program in combination with training sessions. It is part of the funding and selected filmmakers must agree to participate in at least 80% of the mentorship and training days offered.
Application process and required supporting documents
- Applicants must submit their application in full by the respective deadlines.
Documents to be submitted by application closing date, October 25th, 2021:
- Application form(online )
- Activity schedule
Applicants whose projects are shortlisted may be asked to submit:
- The latest version of the treatment or screenplay
DW Akademie will contact applicants whose projects are shortlisted. This will take place approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Please note:
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- It is not possible to submit applications for more than one project.
- There is no legal claim to funding.
Contract and disbursement
- DW Akademie will provide a contract to each of the selected filmmakers.
- The funds will be disbursed in installments.
- Details with regards to the funding of the project will be recorded in a contract to be concluded upon selection of the applicant(s).
- Unless otherwise detailed in the contract, all ownership and rights to the ideas submitted will remain with the original rights holders.